Thursday, July 2, 2015

Flash Gordon Poster by Kilian Eng Release From Mondo & The Day the Earth Stood Still

 

Mondo have two awesome releases lined up for Thursday: FLASH GORDON by Kilian Eng and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL by Methane Studios.

Kilian Eng's name is synonymous with great sci-fi film posters, and with FLASH GORDON he really shows his mastery of color and otherworldly landscape. One of Mondo's favorite artists working on one of their favorite films is always the dream. 
 
"Flash Gordon is a film with a lot of nostalgic value for me so it was a great pleasure to get the opportunity to create a poster for it. What I love most is the total explosion of color, creative costumes and stunning set design. The film has a unique charm that you can't replicate no matter how hard you try. It’s a sci-fi disco adventure full of energy.

The scene I wanted to work with is the whip fight between Flash Gordon and Prince Barin in the Hawkmen’s flying palace. It offered the opportunity for a good solid composition and gave me a chance to draw a lot of characters/costumes and the setting together in a natural way.” - Kilian Eng

Mondo love Georgia's Methane Studios for their ability to handle a seemingly infinite number of varying aesthetics. They really came through with a stark Russian Constructivist look that works perfectly for Cold War parable THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Bold, clean, and simple.

"I grew up a huge science fiction fan and remember when my Dad suggested that I check out The Day The Earth Stood Still. I was a little skeptical because it was in Black & White and this was in the 70s (when Star Wars came out and there were big advances in special effects). But the story was good; plus I thought visually it was well done. And of course you had Gort, one of the more memorable robots in science fiction. I became hooked.

When we were approached to do this we already had a full schedule, but could not resist doing this for my old man since he turned me on to the movie in the first place. I looked at a lot of old movie posters and decided on a bold, striking image of Gort as he's about to go into action. This one is for you pops!" - Mark McDevitt, Methane Studios

These posters will be available online at a random time on Thursday, July 2nd at Mondotees.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in