Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Barry Blankenship Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Seattle Poster


Yes I know Kyary Pamyu Pamyuis is not rock, hell I had no idea who or what it was until I looked her up. Kiriko Takemura, known by her stage name Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, is a Japanese model, blogger and recording artist. Her public image is associated with Japan's kawaisa and decora culture centered in the Harajuku neighborhood of Tokyo.

But I do dig the poster Barry Blankenship did for her show in Seattle last week. Some of you may know Barry from all the work he has done for Gallery1988 and for Bottleneck Gallery. He has done a lot of work for people and done some cool gigposters too. Sometimes you can't pick your clients when someone comes calling and wants you to work for them. I'm not holding it against him that he has done stuff for chris hardwick.

I asked Barry about the design:

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu uses a lot of candy in her lyrics and her imagery, but usually juxtaposed with something really creepy. So Tried to take that idea and make the movie poster version of what I perceived her overall image and narrative to be. So I used the candy colors on a ice cream truck on a pile of cars and debri, you know obvious? (enter a real puny tagline, something like the apocalypse has a sweet tooth)

My original sketch was of the little girl figure using telekinesis to make the ice cream truck hover above her at a 2/4 degree angle, but I wasn't sure that would look cool, so I made the final more detailed cause people like it when my wrists sound like gravel.

I printed that batch of them by hand, 95, 3 colors. If it sells well I might release an art print, maybe it'll look cool on some kids wall.

The poster is a 3 color screenprint measuring 16 x 20 with a limited edition of 95 signed and numbered and only 45 artist proofs available

Buy it HERE in his store and be sure to check out his other work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in